
Last night I had the chance to hold a vinyl copy of Space Cadet, the 1981 album by KC and the Sunshine Band, at the T&A Warehouse. The album was a bit of a flop in its time, but I'd like to give it a second chance for the following reasons:
1) That's an awesome outfit KC is wearing on the back cover. A flight suit with a zipper that runs from left shoulder down to right hip? Far out, space cadet.
2) The song titles themselves make a great bad poem:
Space Cadet, redlight.
I ask myself; you keep hanging on.
Make me a star,
I don't wanna make love;
nothing sadder than a heartache.
What's wrong? Only love...
Holdin' on so long. (punctuation mine)
3) It's really difficult to tell what the name of the album is. There was some confusion at first whether this was actually a KC and the Sunshine Band album, since it just says "KC" on the cover. Turns out that it is, supposedly. Wikpedia offers some backing for this hypothesis by listing the band as KC and the Sunshine Band. It also, however, lists Harry Wayne Casey as the only performer...
But so if KC is the band name, which I think we can pretty much agree on, then what are these other two names? "Space Cadet" and "Solo Flight" are both printed on the cover, but I can only find references to the album as Space Cadet. So what the shit is this Solo Flight thing about? I think that the album isn't really a KC and the Sunshine Band album, but a Harry Wayne Casey (better known as KC) solo record.
What I really wish that I could show you is the back cover. It's fucking beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the album and I didn't have a camera with me last night. Rest assured that next time I visit the T&A Warehouse, I'll take my camera and get proof of Space Cadet/Solo Flight back cover beauty.
It should be noted that, while I think the album should be given a second chance, I never actually listened to it. This is all based on my enjoyment of the packaging and confusion.
No comments:
Post a Comment